Monday, March 18, 2013
No If's, And's...or Ruts
This morning I am thinking about a quirky habit of my Yorkie, which I
recently noticed. I had always given her
and my Chihuahua their treats in a certain spot in a particular room, but a few
weeks ago I happened to be busy working in a different room. I grabbed some treats from the pantry and, as
usual, the sound of me opening the package brought them both running. When I offered the Chihuahua his treat, he
devoured it eagerly. The Yorkie,
however, turned and walked away.
Puzzled, I followed her and found her sitting in the regular “treat
spot” just waiting for me. For several
days after that, I made a number of attempts to coax her into receiving and
enjoying her treat elsewhere. I tried
picking her up and placing her right in front of the treat in another room, but
she’d just sniff it and go wait in the usual place. One day I decided I wouldn’t bring the treat
to her if she didn’t come out and get it.
After waiting for a while, I went in to find her curled up and sleeping
in her treat place. I started reflecting
on the ways in which I sometimes behave exactly like my Yorkie. I wondered how many times I’ve walked away
from blessings because they weren’t presented in a manner or place (or,
perhaps, a package) that fit nicely within my mental and emotional comfort zone. I wondered about the contrived conditions
I’ve placed on God’s promises, digging myself into narrow ruts of limited
expectations. I wondered how often I’ve
“dozed off,” waiting for God to bring the desires of my heart to me on my
terms, when He’s leading me to follow Him into something unexpected but
wonderful. I suppose one of the most
important lessons I can learn is that God, Himself, is the source of all my
blessings and every good thing I could ever hope to have, do, or become. So, I resolve to trust Him and follow His
lead to receive that which He has purposed for me. No if’s, and’s, but’s…or ruts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment