Sunday, November 4, 2012

What You Is?

This morning I am thinking about a humorous encounter my secretary shared from Halloween night.  While doling out candy, she had a pair of cat ears prominently perched on her head.   At one point, she responded to the doorbell and found a little boy standing there.  Instead of saying “Trick or Treat,” he just stared at her for a moment.  Then, with a curious look on his face, he finally asked her, “What you is?”  The fact that she was a cat may have seemed obvious to my secretary, but for whatever reason this did not register with the child.  My guess is that it was because, other than the cat ears, the rest of her outfit was her regular clothes.  Perhaps if she had donned a full costume, tail and whiskers and all, the little boy would have recognized what she was supposed to be.  (Perhaps the other children who came to her house that night didn’t really didn’t know what she was either, but it didn’t matter as long as she gave them candy.)  As I recalled this anecdote today, it made me think about the kind of person I am presenting to those I encounter along life’s journey.  There is certainly an image that I hope I’m portraying.  In my mind, I go forth each day with the outlook that I am a Christian…one who has intentionally and willingly “put on” the mind and actions of Christ.  Yet, I realize this might not always be so apparent to others I may chance to meet.  Although I may say (and believe) that I am a representation of Christ, there is something lost when I’m only partially clad in the new life that is characteristic of who He is.  To be honest, I think there are some days when the only “evidence” of my Christianity is the words that I speak.  Like a pair of cat ears, I can pop scriptures off the top of my head.  Other than that, though, I’m still wearing my own regular clothes—my own prejudices, my own impatience, my own selfishness, my own ignorance, and my own lack of faith.  Much like a group of trick-or-treaters, there certainly will be those who couldn’t care less who or what I endeavor to be in Christ, as long as I keep dishing out the candy of compromise and carnality.  I thank God, though, for the people He sends my way to challenge my assumptions.  I appreciate the circumstances that come along to shake me out of my lethargy by forcing me to ask myself, “What are you…really?”  Whatever the answer, I am glad that I can always retreat to the closet of prayer.  There He reminds me that I AM A NEW CREATION.  There He clothes me in the full wardrobe of His great love, grace and mercy—again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment