Thursday, June 7, 2018

The Right Lane


This morning I am thinking about a minor frustration that turned into a major exhortation. In the middle of a busy day, I decided to grab a quick bite from the drive-thru of a favorite fast food restaurant. It was a road I travel often, so I knew the restaurant would be coming up on my right. I was in the middle lane, and I knew I’d need to get over soon. That’s when I noticed the convoy of cars in the right lane. They were ahead of me, next to me, and in my rearview mirror. I tried signaling, to no avail, for someone to let me over—to let me in. A feeling of aggravation turned to exasperation as I got closer to and, eventually, passed the restaurant. The thought came to me, “Just go to the next restaurant. It’s a little farther down the road, but it’s on your way.” Well, obstinacy outweighed my sense of reason. Once I was able to get into the left lane, I made a U-turn and circled back. I was determined to get in THAT right lane and go to THAT restaurant. I successfully did both. However, as I triumphantly pulled into the parking lot, I noticed there were no other cars. To my shock and chagrin, that restaurant had closed! I couldn’t help laughing at myself as I drove down the road to the other restaurant.

The lesson I needed was this:  Sometimes I try to force my way over into a metaphorical right lane, not realizing it will lead me to a wrong place. Sometimes I need to accept that, regardless of how I may be positioned in relation to other travelers, I am in the right lane for where I really need to go. Sometimes I perceive things negatively, as if they are blocking me, hindering me, or shutting me out from something I want. In fact, they may be divine guard rails to keep me “in my lane” and guide me in a different direction for a reason I can’t immediately see. Sometimes I may think I have arrived, only to find myself in an empty situation that no longer serves a purpose. Sometimes I need to be patient and go just a little farther down the road, trusting that I am being led to a destination that is truly fruitful and favorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment