Sunday, January 1, 2017

In the Beginning

This morning, I am thinking about my walk of faith.  Over the years, my faith has been tried in ways that stretched, pushed, pierced and crushed me.  It has also been affirmed in ways that lifted, guided, restored and healed me.  Today I found myself in the familiar place of seeking to commune with God, the Source of my faith.  I was desperate for direction.  Among other things, I confessed, “God, I feel lost.”  The tender, holy guidance I received was simply this: “Retrace your steps.”  I was led to go back to the beginning—specifically to Genesis, the book of beginnings.  In the Creation narrative, my eyes were enlightened to five guideposts of grace.  When I don’t see these guideposts in my life, I invariably begin to feel lost.  Conversely, when these guideposts are present on my walk of faith, they bear witness that I am on the right path.  The five guideposts are: 

Light- It feels great when circumstances around me are all bright and sunny.  However, that is often not the case.  Sometimes it is right and necessary for me to leave a dark situation and seek a place where there is light.  At other times, it is right and necessary for me to be a light and transform dark places.  In whatever situation I find myself, I pray for illumination to SEE—to act with wisdom, knowledge, and understanding.  I want to help others see, too.

Order- A very liberating lesson I’ve learned is that there is a difference between structure and stricture.  While one is intended to confine, the other is intended to define.  I realize there is no schedule or flow chart that can prevent random, unexpected events from occurring.  Still, having an intentional, thoughtful plan helps me clarify and sanctify the things I value most—those things for which I will prioritize commitment of my time, attention, and affection.

Purpose- There are two questions that seem to arise and confront me at various times and in various contexts. One is, “What am I doing here?”  The other is, “Why am I doing this?”  Sometimes my answer is, “I don’t know.”  At other times, the answers I give ring hollow.  But sometimes when I answer, I feel as if I am plugged in to Life itself!  I feel a great sense of power, joy and meaning.  This is the “sweet spot” of purpose, and there is nothing like it.  This is where I strive to be.
  
Fruitfulness- A particular orange tree may have been the lone survivor of an unseasonably cold winter, and it may have also escaped a crop-killing blight.  Nevertheless, the greatest testimony that orange tree could have is sweet, juicy oranges.  I want to keep this in mind, when I’m tempted to boast about obstacles I have faced or challenges I’ve overcome.  At the end of the day, I want to know that I am providing  something fruitful--something beneficial, pleasant, nourishing, refreshing and sweet—for those who need it. 

Relationship- As much as I enjoy my alone time, I understand that I am not designed to experience life disconnected from others.  Time after time, I have seen Love absolutely demolish the pitiful walls of defense I’d constructed around myself to avoid frustration, disappointment and a broken heart.  I now know it was brokenness that taught me mercy, compassion, patience, forgiveness and hope. Indeed, these things have equipped me for authentic relationships in which Love can be given and received, flowing freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment