Monday, April 21, 2014

Stolen Goods


This morning I am thinking about the recent naughty deed committed by my sister’s Australian Shepherd, Midnight.  The sequence of events went like this.  A large bowl was placed on the kitchen table, filled with delicious, fresh-out-of-the-crockpot, beef cubes for stew.  This was done so that the vegetables could cook separately.  (When the beef and vegetables are put together, it is so very good!)  Well, while the vegetables were cooking, and while no one was watching, Midnight made his way into the kitchen.  To put it mildly, there was quite a bit of confusion and surprise when a completely empty bowl was found where a beef-filled bowl had been left.  I tried hard to contain my amusement as it was recounted to me how Midnight was just lying calmly on the floor in the hall, looking ever so innocent.  Yet, I could not withhold my laughter when I heard the statement, “But I had the bowl covered with a paper towel.”  The paper towel, by the way, was recovered from the floor.  I guess what really tickled me was trying to picture Midnight saying to himself, “That sure smells good.  There’s a paper towel over it, though, so I’d better not touch it.”  Clearly, that’s not how Midnight rolls.  When he stands, he can easily place his paws on my shoulders.  A kitchen table and a paper towel were certainly no deterrents to him satisfying his curiosity or his appetite.  Besides, he has been charged and found guilty in prior incidences of such stolen goods.  I marveled, not quite able to understand why the bowl of beef was placed where it was so susceptible to being detected and devoured.  Today, I am marveling as I ask myself why I sometimes do the same thing.  No, I don’t mean with bowls of beef.  I’m talking about other goods that are much more valuable.  There are times when I carelessly set them in some very vulnerable, dangerously low places.  (A very wise man once summed this up as “leaning to my own understanding.”)  It really should come as no surprise when " big dogs" of anxiety, doubt, discouragement and fear quickly commence to consume these goods.  Even my strongest platitudes are powerless against their hunger.  Much like a paper towel, my best carnal efforts to cover myself are tossed aside and fall to the ground.  But, oh how I love moments like this!  I embrace these sweet, sacred times when I am reminded that I can confidently put my treasures—my joy, my peace, my hope, my confidence, my love—in higher places.  Sure, the dogs will still be able to sniff out good things that are being “cooked up” just for me, and they will seek to snatch my treasures away.  But there are some places to which the dogs cannot ascend.  I’m so glad that I can look and reach to those higher places, to places of Faith and Spirit.  There my goods are never stolen or devoured.  Instead, they are preserved while every aspect of my life is being perfectly prepared for purpose.  And, when it all comes together, it is going to be so very good!  

No comments:

Post a Comment