Thursday, December 26, 2013

The End of the Story


This morning I am thinking about the significance of a familiar four-letter word that stands out to me in the scriptures concerning Christ’s birth.  The word is “Fear.”  Specifically, I noted that the phrase “fear not” was used by angelic messengers while addressing Joseph (Matthew 1:20), Mary (Luke 1:30) and some shepherds (Luke 2:10).  I had never given a whole lot of thought to the presence or potential influence of fear during such a joyous, miraculous event.  After all, it was a time of love demonstrated, of peace declared, and of promise for hopes fulfilled.  What place should fear have in that?  I have gained a bit of insight while considering this.  When I celebrate Christ’s birth, it is from the perspective of one who has already seen the end of the movie, so to speak.  I know the story of power and grace, of salvation and deliverance, of reconciliation and restoration.  However, the ones who were first given those messages concerning Christ’s birth did not “see what I see” or “know what I know.”  They were told of things that would come to pass in ways that were new and unexpected.  A child being conceived of the Holy Spirit.  A virgin giving birth to a son.  A newborn king lying in a manger, wrapped in swaddling clothes.  These things were a far departure from norms and traditions, in shocking contrast to the comfortable and familiar and, quite frankly, hard to believe. They didn’t fully know the end of the story.  Nevertheless, Joseph, Mary, and the shepherds received the words of truth they had been given by faith.

During this season which represents wonders and miracles for many people, I have been compelled to reflect on my own response when certain words of truth...when certain promises for hopes fulfilled…are given to me.  Admittedly, I have sometimes responded with fear rather than faith.  As I ask myself why this is so, it becomes clear to me that I really tend to get stuck on the “how.”  I know that sometimes God’s way involves sacrifice, pain or circumstances that don’t always work out the way I think they should.  Often His leading goes against my reasoning and challenges the subjective logic of my experience.  Almost always, His plan requires me to discard old ways of thinking and behaving to which I have become accustomed.  So, fear manifests itself through my making excuses, putting up defenses, trying to hide, and running away.  But at this moment I find myself in an awesome place of freedom and peace.  I am making the choice to surrender my fears so that I can  more tightly embrace faith.  And I know this: “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear…” (I John 4:18).  Today I will go forth, giving thanks for a heart to perceive and receive the life-shifting blessings God sends my way.  I will trust His heart for the “how,” knowing that the end of the story will be very, very good.   

No comments:

Post a Comment