Monday, December 2, 2013
He Answers
This morning I am thinking about how excited my daughter was the first
time my 14-month-old grandson called her “Ma-ma.” The significance of that moment, one of pure
and mutual delight between my baby and her baby, was not lost on me. And I smiled.
I knew it was only the first of countless times she would hear that
precious utterance for years to come. Of
course, the way it is spoken may evolve over the years. “Ma-ma, eat?”
“Mommy, I don’t feel good.” “Mom,
can I go out with my friends?” Yet, all are
simply variations on a moniker her sons’ hearts will reserve for no one else
but her. How often my daughter will hear
“Ma-ma” in one form or another, I can’t imagine. What I do know is that she won’t grow weary
of hearing it. I know there’s something
about a mother’s heart that always quickens with inexpressible affection to
hear a child’s call. And I know that
when her sons call, my daughter will turn her attention toward them and she
will answer. It brings a smile to my
face again today, as I consider how this applies to my relationship with my
heavenly Father. It was many years ago
that I first spoke in faith, “God, I believe that You are.” I cannot even venture to guess how many times
I’ve called on Him since. The way I call
His Name may differ. “Father, I need
Your wisdom.” “God, it hurts. Please help me.” “Lord, give me strength.” All are simply variations on the matchless
Name my heart reserves for none other but Him.
I rejoice to know that He never gets weary of hearing my call. I am filled with hope to know that His heart
still quickens with inexpressible affection when He hears my spirit cry, “Abba,
Father!” And it is even more wonderful
to know that He answers. Sometimes He
answers through the loving counsel of a friend.
Sometimes He answers with an unexpected turn of events. Sometimes He answers with an overwhelming
peace. I don’t always know when or how,
but I do know this: With just what I
need, just when I need it, He turns His attention toward me and He answers…always. Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment