Wednesday, November 27, 2013
The Right Doors
This morning I am thinking about the time my niece had a bit of a mix-up
while looking for my sister’s house. In
all fairness, some of the houses on my sister’s street look an awful lot
alike. When she and her husband first
moved there, I admit that I got confused a few times. Quite a few times. The more I visited them, however, the easier
it became. I learned to look for
distinctive features and characteristics of my sister’s house that the other
houses didn’t have, such as my brother-in-law’s masterful landscaping. I also learned to notice subtle differences about
the other houses that let me know they weren’t
my sister’s house, such as the design of walkways, porches, or windows. Anyway, on that particular day, my sister called
my niece and told her to come over. She
had something special she wanted to give my great-niece for her birthday. So, my niece packed the kids in the car and
headed over. When they didn’t arrive
within an expected time frame, my sister became concerned. She looked out the window and was surprised
to see my niece’s car parked in the driveway of a neighbor. She was even more surprised to see my
great-niece ringing the neighbor’s doorbell.
With a quick call to my niece’s cell phone, she was able to direct them
to the right house. Two things strike me
about this. The first thing is that, although
my niece may have gotten mixed up, she was only there because she was seeking
something that had been promised. The
second thing is, chances are slim to none that my niece would have received
what my sister had promised at any of the neighbor’s houses, no matter how
similar they looked. This makes me
reflect on my own experiences of parking in wrong driveways and knocking on wrong
doors. I’m not speaking of literal
houses. Rather, I am speaking of those
persons, places and things to which I’ve mistakenly sought to gain access while
acting in sincere faith, based on promises in God’s Word. I have to say that those persons, places, and
things really LOOKED right! So, there I’d
be just knocking away. How thankful I am
that, in faithfulness, God is always looking out for me! He calls to me, in the depths of my spirit, at
those times when I get lost. I am
grateful for how He lovingly directs me away from what seems right to what is right,
so I can receive the special blessings He has prepared and intended just for me. A lesson for me today is that, just as I
did with my sister’s house, I can learn to discern the qualities and
characteristics of God’s leading that are distinctive from everything
else. And the more time I invest in
seeking Him, the better I am becoming at recognizing the right doors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love it. Thanks
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome. :-)
Delete