Anyway, the first person I called was my mom. I was sobbing as I relayed the news to her,
and she came over right away. She did
her best to console me while the two of us waited for my brother to come
home. When he finally got there, I couldn’t
bear to look at him. I knew I deserved
whatever wrath he might unleash, because it was my own deliberate choices that
put me in the situation. I was
twenty-two years old, I had no job, I had no husband, and I had no idea what I
would be like as a mother. But if Andy
felt anything other than love and compassion for me in that moment, he certainly
didn’t show it. He held me tightly as I
cried. He cried, too. And he told me it was going to be alright. I didn’t know how it would be alright. Nevertheless, I believed him.
Ari is now a beautiful, twenty-six year old woman. I watched and listened yesterday as she and
her husband interacted with each other and their two young sons. My heart was filled with joy and gratitude to
witness the tenderness, affection, laughter, and love. I can see that it absolutely did turn out
alright! This encourages my heart today,
for there are other times when I find myself broken and feeling lost, in the
midst of circumstances which are a result of deliberate choices I’ve made. At such times I struggle to pray, fearing
that yet another failure must certainly exceed the limits of God’s grace. I brace myself for some kind of divine smack
upside the head, but instead I find His arms of love and compassion encompassing
me. He holds me tightly as I cry, and He
tells me it’s going to be alright. I
don’t always see how it will be alright.
Nevertheless, I believe Him. I
know that in the very best of times and through the very worst of times, God
has proven His faithfulness more often than I can even recall. I believe His Word that all things
(even the things that don’t look good or feel good) are working together for my
good. Yes, I believe Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment