Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Supposably



This morning I am thinking about the part of a conversation I overheard in the ladies room recently.  One woman was talking to another about her recent visit to the doctor for an odd ailment that, suffice it to say, gave me yet another reason to be grateful.  But more than her perplexing condition, what caught my attention was when she used the word "supposably."  She was sharing her skepticism about the prescription she had picked up the day before, describing it as something that was “supposably” going to relieve her symptoms.  My inner grammar police wanted desperately to call out from my stall, "The word is not supposably. It’s supposedly!"  But I refrained.  It wasn't the first time I've heard someone say "supposably," and I suspect it won't be the last.  I have surmised that when people use words like that, it has to be based purely on hearsay.  It seems they are simply repeating something they've heard, without having first-had knowledge of the actual word.   So I find myself thinking, “If only she could see that word in print…actually read it.  Perhaps then it would be clear to her what the word truly is.”  But I realize that wouldn’t necessarily make a difference.  Truth is, she could acknowledge the discrepancy and still choose to continue speaking in the way to which she has become accustomed.  In general, I find that people are rather protective of their comfortable habits, no matter how inappropriate they are.  It's funny how this happens in other contexts, too.  Sometimes I hear people speaking about others, uttering hateful and hurtful things that are based purely on hearsay.   Quite often they are simply repeating something they’ve heard, without fully realizing or understanding what they're talking about.  If there’s one thing that especially captures my attention, it’s when I overhear outrageous, ignorant words being spoken in the name of religion...words that condemn and marginalize certain groups of people…words spoken by those who are (supposably) spiritually and morally superior.  Particularly when I hear such misrepresentations of my God and His Word, I want to call out with wisdom and courage from the stall of my Christian complacency, “The Word is not for God so judged the world.  It’s for God so loved the world!"  I want to say, “It sounds like you're speaking based on hearsay, and your message is distorted.  Here, read this and see for yourself."  Will some be offended by this?  Probably.  But, could some grow in knowledge, understanding, and compassion?  Yes, I suppose so.  And that’s what matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment