Wednesday, January 29, 2014

EGAPP!

This morning I am thinking about one of my journals.  I say "one of" because I am currently keeping four different ones.  There's my prayer journal, and there's my journal for general ponderings and reflections.  Then there's my journal to my future husband.  (Lord, please let him manifest soon!)  But the one I'm thinking about today is my EGAPP journal.  EGAPP is an acronym for "exceeding great and precious promises." It's a phrase from one of my favorite scriptures, II Peter 1:4.  I started my EGAPP journal a few months ago, after some honest reflection about my daily dialogue...with myself as well as with others.  I had to come to terms with the incongruity between the things I prayed and the things I said.  For example, I would pray, "Lord, help me to make the most of this day."  But later I would say, "Good Lord, I can't wait for this day to be over!"  That's just one example.  There are others which, quite frankly, I am too embarrassed to share.  In my EGAPP journal, I simply record those words from scripture that seem to expressly speak to me during my times of study and meditation.  One of my favorites is "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work" (II Corinthians 9:8).  Another favorite is, "The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him" (Lamentations 3:25).  I typically have my EGAPP journal with me wherever I go.  I want to have it always accessible because it is a critical part of what I call my "speech therapy."  This is what my speech therapy entails:  Before I utter something that is solely driven by emotion or ignorance (or both) from my lips, I stop.  And, instead, I will speak words from my EGAPP journal.  I am finding that, not only is my speech being refined, but my mind is being renewed.  I remember that I am of my God, whose words have power to form, transform, and give life.  I am reminded that I have that same power to enlighten, to create, and to heal.  In doing so, I am being made free and marvelously changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment